Who We Are
The Open Bible Church of Waverly began with about twenty families in attendance at the first service on February 9, 1986. They met in a rented building at Park Village southwest of Waverly under the leadership of Pastor Mike Reeves. On May 25, 1986, District Superintendent Ivan Rogers and his wife came to present the church with its official Open Bible charter. In September 1986, Pastor Mike left to fulfill other obligations.
In September 1986 Pastor Jack Nation and his wife Dorothy were called to continue the church ministry. The church outgrew its facility, and purchased R-J’s Lounge in February 1988. The building was remodeled, and the first service was conducted on July 10, 1988. Two years later, the church again expanded and chose to add to the present sanctuary. It was finished and dedicated in October 1990. Pastor Jack retired in May 1997 after almost eleven years of service.
In July 1997 Pastor Jim Brewer, his wife Sharon, and their two children came to Waverly to continue the church ministry. The church added a fellowship hall and an additional wing with classrooms, nurseries, and offices as attendance continued to increase. In August 2005, Pastor Jim Brewer and his family moved to Des Moines, IA.
In November 2005 Pastor Marvin Talamantez, his wife Chris, and their five children came to Waverly from Grass Valley, CA, to continue the church ministry. In 2011, the church celebrated its 25th anniversary
by looking back at how far God has brought our body of believers.
Pastor Matt Miller came on staff in 2013 as the Assistant Pastor,
and became the Lead Pastor in May of 2014. We are looking forward
to all God wants to continue to do through His church today and in
Open Bible Church is affiliated with Open Bible Churches. Open Bible Churches originated from two revival movements: Bible Standard Conference, founded in Eugene, Oregon, in 1919, and Open Bible Evangilistic Association, founded in Des Moines, IA, in 1932. Similar in doctrine and structure, the two groups amalgamated in 1935 as "Open Bible Standard Churches" with the National office located in Des Moines.
Roots of the parent groups reach back to the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in 1906 at the Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles, CA and to the full gospel movement in the midwest. Both were organized under the impetus of Pentecostal Revival. Simple faith, emphasis on prayer, evangelism, international missions, and free fellowship with other groups characterized - and still characterizes - the growing organization.
For further information you may visit the website of Open Bible Churches by going to www.openbible.org or by clicking here.